It wasn't considered realistic to see tight end Heath Miller on the field on the first day of training camp. The same can probably be said about linebacker Sean Spence. Along with fullback David Johnson (knee) and defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu (hamstring), the Steelers placed them on the Physically Unable to Perform list, as the four missed the conditioning test conducted Friday at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa.
While left tackle Marcus Gilbert collapsed from fatigue after the drill, he was not placed on the PUP. Right tackle Mike Adams was thought by some to perhaps miss time in camp, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Adams has been cleared to participate.
These are day-to-day kinds of concerns, and certainly, the fact that an uninjured Gilbert needed a cart to get to the locker room cannot sit well with the team. Tomlin said he was "unaware" Gilbert was taken off the field after the drill, which could be simply another way of saying "he finished it, that's what matters."
The Renegade: Steelers 2013 Season Preview
- Steelers 2013 Schedule Preview: Fourth quarter
- Steelers 2013 Schedule Preview: Third quarter has two tough road games in short time frame
- Steelers 2013 Schedule Preview: second quarter of season will be make or break
- Steelers 2013 Schedule Preview: First quarter includes tough match-ups with Bengals, Vikings
- Steelers place four on PUP, Mike Adams cleared to practice
- Steelers Fantasy Football: Breaking down the candidates
- INSIDE FEATURE: It's time to hype the (re)start of David DeCastro's career
- 2013 Steelers position preview: Specialists
- INSIDE FEATURE: Markus Wheaton play analysis shows a workmanlike receiver with a great all-around game
- INSIDE FEATURE: Le'Veon Bell, workhorse hope, Steelers fan
- 2013 Steelers position preview: Defensive line
- INSIDE FEATURE: Pittsburgh-flavored coaches return in force to Steelers' staff
- The 2013 Jersey Rules: The Best to Buy This Season
- COVER STORY: Steelers offensive line too big to fail
- 2013 Steelers position preview: Safeties